Current & Popular Concepts in the Evaluation and Non-Operative Treatment of the Lumbar Spine: Part 2: Common Pathologies of the Lumbar Spine
by Jeffrey P. Larson, RPT, ATC
Discusses the common pathologies of the lumbar spine including fractures, lumbar strains and sprains, boney structural deficits including spondylolysis and spondylolythesis, vertebral disc pathologies, degenerative diseases of the lumbar spine, ankylosing spondylitis and fibromyalgia. 24 pages.
Course Length: 3.0 contact hours
Instructional Level: Beginner
Course Goals and Objectives:
This course is intended to facilitate a review as well as a learning experience for the therapist, athletic trainer, and other related professionals through a self-paced study of the common pathologies of the lumbar spine.
At the end of this course the student will be able to:
1. Describe the pathologies involving the bony structures of the lumbar spine
2. Specify the ligamentous and muscular strains seen in the lumbar spine.
3. Describe the pathologies involving the intervertebral disc of the lumbar spine
4. Explain the degenerative changes seen in the lumbar spine.
5. Describe the influences of fibromyalgia upon low back pain.